Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Found my Type D screw

Today I had a surprising discovery. I found my Type D screw I lost last week!

A week ago on Tuesday I was in an Asian Super Market. I was playing with my cube on one side where my old Type A core was broken the screw kept on coming out of the core. I was being real dumb and didn't put the center cap on. So eventually my screw was at the point where it was at the top of the screw hole thingy in the center piece. I was turning the cube and then my entire top layer came out! I mean all top layer cubies, the center piece, the screw, and the spring. I found all the pieces except the screw in like 20 seconds. Where was it? I looked for like 20 minutes between crates, under shelves, but couldn't find it =(.

Okay so today I went back to the same Super Market and decided to look for the screw again because I had nothing better to do. After like 10 minutes looking like a moron crouched down I found it! It was behind a shelf, which really puzzles me. It's hard to explain, but it was in a place where it could not have naturally been when I popped my cube a week ago. I suppose someone was sweeping the floors and I put it there.

Okay so my old Type A core is broken so I couldn't use it. I used the Type D core instead and to my surprise the cube was pretty good! It seems that for the Type D core, the screws can't go all the way in compared to the old Type A core so the cube was pretty loose. It felt almost the same when I had an old Type A core. It turns a tiny bit faster but cut corners slightly worse (probably because I was a little loose). It also looks like it's going to pop but doesn't. I've only used it for like 2 minutes so I'm not sure how good it really is.

Also, is this an old Type A core?